Welcome to the website of the Royal Tunbridge Wells Civic Society. The Society is an independent organisation
which campaigns for the conservation and improvement of this attractive town with its important heritage and rich cultural life.
- see more about our objectives and background;
- get the latest news on current issues;
- find out about the Decimus Burton Museum and Study Centre Project;
- download our latest Newsletter;
- check out our latest Publication (use the Publications tab to buy on-line);
- send us your comments on any of our activities or on current issues in the town.
Thursday 12th January 7.30pm on Zoom
'The Spire within our Midst' an illustrated talk by our Chairman Paul Avis.
When walking around Tunbridge Wells, you will frequently see the spire of St. Mark's Church dominating the horizon. In 2016 Broadwater Down with its unique French Gothic church of St Mark's celebrated its 150th anniversary: this is the story of its development, its houses, its builder and its patron, as well as residents and the important role they have played over the years in the history of the town. Paul will recount some interesting stories about the church, its school and hall, as well as Montgomery's time at Broadwater Down and the mysterious Hargate tunnels.